April is Child Fire Safety Month
Teach Children to Be Fire Safe
This month, the Office of the Fire Commissioner is encouraging you to teach your children fire safety.
Develop a home fire escape plan
- Plan two ways out of every room
- Plan a safe way to the ground from a second storey or higher.
- Make sure your family knows your meeting place outside your home.
- Teach children not to hide when they hear the smoke alarm, but to start the escape plan.
- Remind children never to go back inside until a parent or firefighter says it's "SAFE".
Conduct a home fire drill
- Practise your plan your plan by having home fire drill at least twice a year.
- Children must practise using both exits.
- If the room is filled with smoke, teach children to crawl to the nearest exit.
Teach your children not to play with matches and lighters
- Teach children to tell a grown-up when they find matches and lighters.
- Keep matches, lighters and other smoking materials high on a shelf or in a locked cupboard.
- Teach children that matches and lighters are not toys, but for adult use.