June is Pet Safety
Video contest focuses on pet safety
So cute. Check out these adorable pets, helping to raise awareness about the dangers of leaving pets in vehicles.
With the weather starting to heat-up, the Office of the Fire Commissioner is focused on pet safety for the month of June. Did you know that vehicles can trap heat and act like ovens? On a warm day, even parked in the shade with a window rolled down, a vehicle can heat up to 49°C(120°F) in minutes!
That's why it's important to never leave your dog or cat in a parked car during hot summer months - not even for a short trip.
Your pet doesn't sweat like you do. They pant and use their lungs to help them stay cool. With nothing but overheated air to breathe in a parked car, your pet's life could be at risk.
It only takes a few minutes for their body temperature to increase, cause heat stroke, and lead to organ damage. If your pet is overcome by heat exhaustion, their life is in danger. Take them to the nearest vet immediately.
On average, the Calgary Fire Department responds to 39 incidents of dogs left in vehicles between the months of May and September. And in 2014 the Edmonton Fire Services responded to 922 events requiring assistance for animals, including incidents of pets left in vehicles.
We know you want to include your pet in your activities, but don't take the chance with your pet's life. Leave them at home.
Other Safety Tips for Pets:
- In case of fire, remember to get out and stay out. Never go back inside for people, pets, or things. If pets are unaccounted for or trapped inside your home, tell firefighters right away. Never re-enter a burning building.
- Keep pets away from burning candles.
- Keep pets away from cooking areas, BBQs and nearby surfaces to prevent them from knocking things onto the burners. Have a 3-foot (1 meter) pet-free and kid-free zone around the stove or grill.
- Make sure patio torches are secure and not in the path of people or pets.
- Remember, Carbon monoxide gas can kill people and pets. Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm in your home and never run a vehicle in a garage, even if the doors are open.